Do you know a veteran who might be using alcohol, tobacco, or prescription drugs to cope with anxiety, post-traumatic stress, or homelessness? If so, they’re not alone. The rate of substance abuse reported by service members who served since 2001 has tripled since before Vietnam. In 2015, 1 in 15 veterans had a substance abuse disorder.
Help is Available
Recovery from substance abuse is tough. Fortunately, help is available both from the Veterans Administration (VA) and from programs throughout the country that specialize in treating current or former members of the armed forces.
Help.org explains each step of the process of seeking help – both from the Veterans Administration and from specialized treatment programs. Their resources will help you:
- Understand substance abuse among veterans
- Learn what services are covered by the VA
- Access services from the VA
- Find specialized substance abuse treatment outside of the VA
- Get payment assistance for treatment programs outside of the VA
- Access additional resources for Veterans
- Know what steps to take to get help
Do you know a veteran who may be struggling with substance abuse? Show your thanks for their service by sharing this information.
Recovery is possible, and help is available!