Community Benefit Specialists help people navigate the lengthy and complex process of applying for and maintaining benefits. They can meet with people out in the community and work to make sure an application is complete and accurate.
Our comprehensive service includes assistance in the following areas:
- Gathering required information and documentation
- Completing required applications and reports
- Meeting deadlines and keeping appointments
- Exploring additional sources of information
- Writing a summary report
- Communicating with the Social Security Administration and other agencies
- Problem-solving and advocacy
Who is eligible for this service?
Adults who have mental illness and live in Dane County.
How can you get services?
Individuals or service providers can call to complete a referral or send in the referral form on our website.
What are “benefits”?
Benefit programs can provide a monthly income, health insurance, help to buy food, or other types of assistance.
What are the Social Security benefit programs for people with disabilities?
- SSI or Supplemental Security Income pays benefits to people who have a disability, meet medical criteria, and have low income and resources.
- SSDI or Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to people who have disability, meet medical criteria, and are “insured” meaning that they worked recently and long enough and paid Social Security taxes.
What are the public health insurance programs?
- Medicaid is a health insurance program for certain people with low income and resources, including children, pregnant women, parents, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Medicare is a health insurance program for people with disabilities and seniors.
Refer someone for services:
- Download a CBS Referral Form (PDF) | or use our Online Referral Form
- If you are in the Comprehensive Community Services (CCS) Program, please download the CCS Referral Form (PDF) or use the CCS Online Referral Form
- If you are requesting services on behalf of someone else, please have them sign/complete a release of information form to allow communication between you and ERI. Download a Consumer Consent to Release Information Form (WORD)