If you feel stressed at the thought of the upcoming tax deadline, now is the time to take action using free tax preparation services. The deadline to file tax returns for the 2022 tax year is Tuesday, April 18, 2023 for most people. Fortunately, there are free on-line and in-person resources to help you file your taxes on time.
Get Started With a Checklist
To get started, use My Free Taxes’ Tax Preparation Checklist. It can help you organize the forms and information you need to maximize your refund.
Use Free Online or Local Resources
The IRS has partnered with several local and national agencies to help people file their taxes correctly and on time. Use one of these resources to get the support you need.
My Free Taxes – Free, Online Assistance
My Free Taxes is a safe, online program that provides free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance. United Way partnered with IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to help filers prepare their tax returns on their own or have their return prepared for them. With My Free Taxes, you can:
- File your own taxes online (takes most users an hour or less)
- Have your taxes prepared for you
- Typically takes 1-2 weeks
- For filers who make about $60,000 or less
My Free Taxes
The IRS offers this free, online resource for completing federal individual tax returns. It offers free:
- Guided online tax preparation
- For those with an adjusted gross income of $73,000 or less
- Some state tax preparation and filing are free
- Fillable forms to file yourself
- No state tax preparation and filing
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) The IRS’s VITA and TCE programs offer free tax help at locations in all 50 states to:
- People who generally make $60,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
Free Tax Prep Help
Dane County Resources
There are several organizations within Dane County that offer free tax preparation assistance. Check these ones out:
- Goodwill – Income Tax Prep Assistance
- Dane County Financial Education Center
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Your Library: A Valuable Resource
Check with your local library to see what other resources are available in your community:
Most Taxpayers Receive Refunds within 21 Days
Most taxpayers receive their refund within 21 days of when they file electronically if they choose direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax return. Taxpayers should check the IRS’s Where's My Refund? Tool for their personalized refund status.
Don’t delay! Use these resources to get free help to file your taxes by the Tuesday, April, 18, 2023 deadline!