Eating healthy doesn’t have to be expensive. For some tips and resources to help you make healthy food choices while staying within your budget, check out our resource list about budget friendly, healthy, and best of all, delicious food.
We also invite you to share your favorite website on this topic. Add it to our list or vote for your favorite on our list! You can also check out our delicious and budget friendly chili recipe below!Resource List: Healthy Eating on a Budget
Eating on a Budget: Make Your Tummy and Your Wallet Happy
ERI’s Favorite Chili
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bell pepper (we like yellow!)
1 lb. extra lean ground meat – optional
1 (12 oz.) bottle tomato-based chili sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (15 -16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Warm the cooking oil in a pan on the stove. Add the onion, garlic powder, and bell pepper. Cook until soft.
- Stir in the meat (if desired), cook until browned.
- Sprinkle chili powder over mixture then pour in chili sauce.
- Fill empty bottle with water and shake to remove remaining sauce then pour into pan.
- Stir in beans.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.