Have you or your kids gotten sick of the typical PB&J brown bag lunch? It’s not easy coming up with new ideas for healthy, affordable lunches, but the start of a new school year is a good time to get creative. We love this creative lunch idea from Eating Well for Pizza Rollups:Resource List: Healthy Eating on a Budget
Eating on a Budget: Make Your Tummy and Your Wallet Happy
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 – 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortilla
- 2 tablespoons prepared pizza sauce
- 12 leaves baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella
Place tortilla on a plate and spread pizza sauce over it. Top with an even layer of spinach and sprinkle cheese on top. Microwave on High until the cheese is just melted, about 45 seconds. Carefully roll the tortilla up. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into pieces, if desired.
- Warm the cooking oil in a pan on the stove. Add the onion, garlic powder, and bell pepper. Cook until soft.
- Stir in the meat (if desired), cook until browned.
- Sprinkle chili powder over mixture then pour in chili sauce.
- Fill empty bottle with water and shake to remove remaining sauce then pour into pan.
- Stir in beans.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.