Earned Income Tax Credit

In Benefits Articles, Blog, Employment Articles, Featured, Tax Resources, Ticket to Work Articles by eri

If your 2022 income was in the low to moderate range, you could be eligible for a tax break through the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). The EITC could reduce the taxes you owe and increase your refund.

To qualify for the EITC, you must:

Income Limits Vary with Dependent Children

If you have children in your household, your AGI limit will be:

  • Three or more qualifying children
    $53,057, or $59,187 if married filing jointly
  • Two qualifying children
    $49,399, or $55,529 if married filing jointly
  • One qualifying child
    $43,492, or $49,622 if married filing jointly
  • No qualifying children
    $16,480, or $22,610 if married filing jointly

Even if you do not have children, you can still qualify for the EITC if you are between the ages of 25 and 65 and meet the income guidelines.

Check Your Eligibility

Use the IRS’s EITC Assistant Tool to check your eligibility for the EITC.

Important to Know

Any refund you receive because of the EITC cannot be counted as income for benefit programs such as Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), FoodShare benefits, and low-income housing.

The refund will also be excluded as an asset or resource for at least 12 months after you receive it.

Get Free Help With Your Taxes

Free help with filing your tax return is available through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. To find the nearest VITA site in your community visit the IRS website or call 1-800-906-9887.

About the Author

Amber Kwiatkowski

As a Work Incentive Benefits Specialist, Amber provides benefit related services to beneficiaries regarding Social Security Administration work incentives. This includes public benefits, health care systems, as well as other financial issues concerning benefits received. Amber also provides ongoing training and community outreach for individuals and professionals on a variety of benefits-related information and community resources. More about Amber