Employment Resources, Inc. (ERI) – Madison, WI
Employment Resources, Inc., a Madison-based nonprofit agency that advances the employment, health and financial security of people with disabilities, is seeking a Benefits and Employment Specialist to work in the Dane County area with people who need support and assistance due to a mental health need.
The Benefits and Employment Specialist assists people with disabilities to apply for disability benefits and provides ongoing employment counseling to clients to help them obtain, maintain, or advance in their employment. The person hired will also be trained to provide pre-driving assessments using a specialized driving simulator.
Please note, ERI requires a cover letter and resume with your application – please include your salary requirements in the cover letter. The Benefits and Employment Specialist must be willing to travel in Dane County and the surrounding areas.
To learn more about ERI, visit our website: www.eri-wi.org
- Understand the Social Security Disability application process and ensure clients receive needed supports to advance their application for these benefits.
- Research governmental/state benefits for people with disabilities and understand the criteria for receiving them.
- Respond to inquiries from staff, outside vendors, and clients in a professional manner.
- Work collaboratively with other staff members at ERI and other agencies’ staff to provide the most accurate information for clients.
- Serve as a liaison between the client and benefit agency.
- Record and document all direct and indirect services on clients’ behalf in database.
Provide Employment Counseling Services
- Discuss employment goals with clients, and the services and supports needed to reach those goals.
- Assist with all aspects of job search including resume review, cover letters, disability disclosure, job search strategies and providing job leads.
- Provide supports and services to assist the client in developing essential employment skills such as timeliness; attendance; attire and grooming; interactions with supervisor and co-workers; and following directions and completing assigned tasks.
- Provide ongoing employment counseling and other supports to help clients maintain, change or advance in their employment.
- Engage in discussions on disability-related issues such as a disability disclosure, and reasonable accommodations.
- Attend team meetings to discuss cases, progress, and concerns.
- Complete phone screenings to determine appropriate agency program.
- Attend trainings and outreach events.
- Data entry, and another program admin, as requested.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or management.
- Adhere to all confidentiality, security and privacy protocols to ensure reasonable efforts to prevent loss, theft, or unintended disclosure of personal health information or other confidential or sensitive information.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s or Masters Degree in social work, human services, vocational rehabilitation, special education, or related field;
- Experience with benefits programs and services for people with disabilities, preferred;
- Two years of experience providing employment counseling and/or job search services, preferred;
- Knowledge of governmental benefit programs and how employment affects these benefits;
- Knowledge of confidentiality laws as they relate to benefits and healthcare;
- Demonstrated computer and software skills required; proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Ability to learn and implement pre-driving assessment using specialized driving simulator;
- Ability to understand and empathize with the clients’ situations and the complexity of these programs for the clients;
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills;
- Strong case management skills;
- Ability to quickly learn and internalize information that can be highly technical and specific;
- Ability to work independently with very little supervision;
- Ability to team with co-workers and community partners;
- Ability to prioritize and continually meet numerous deadlines for high-volume tasks;
- Ability to change and adapt strategies to meet deadlines and address problems that may arise in a calm and collected way;
- Ability to efficiently and creatively approach and work through problems;
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people and businesses, and to change communication styles accordingly;
- Ability to hold oneself and others accountable for one’s actions;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of both client and staff information;
- Ability to pass and maintain clearance related to criminal, caregiver and sex offender background check requirements, as well as Social Security suitability clearance; and
- Ability to travel within Wisconsin and other states as necessary; must possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and proof of personal auto liability insurance meeting Wisconsin’s minimum requirement.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $36,000 to $45,000 / year
ERI is an equal opportunity employer with talented staff, creative work environment, excellent benefits and generous time off policies. ERI practices and promotes innovative services that advance employment opportunities, support personal choices, and enhance the well-being of individuals with disabilities across Wisconsin.
Please respond by providing a cover letter regarding your interest and skills related to this position and your resume outlining your experience, and salary requirements with the above qualifications to email@example.com.
The search is open until filled.
Download and share this job notice (pdf)